Whole Spices List- 8 Spices with Amazing Health Benefits
Whole Spices like Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf adds aroma and flavors to food. Everyone must include them in their meal to get enormous health benefits.
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) cultivated from its fruit peppercorn. You can use it as a seasoning spice. Black pepper is extensively cultivated in south India regions. Vietnam is the largest producer as well as exporter of pepper. Black Pepper , a dried spice have been in usage since antiquity, both for flavor and as a traditional medicine. This wholespice is one of the most common spices added to cuisines around the world. Let’s take a look at some of the important health benefits of black pepper.
- Helps in losing weight
- Detoxifies your body
- Cleanses your intestines and stomach
- It helps in regulating heart rate and high blood pressure
- Helps in producing red blood cells
- Rich in vitamin B and produces calcium
- Prevents constipation
- Prevents skin deformation & wrinkles
A spice commonly known as star anise, star anise seed is one of the whole spices that not only adds flavor to Indian Cuisines but also has major health benefits. It is obtain from the star-shaped pericarps of the fruit of Illicium verum. These fruits harvested just before ripening. Star anise oil used in cooking as well as in making soaps, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and skin creams due to its high fragrance. Star Anise has some health benefits :
- Kills off bacteria
- Rich in antioxidants
- Wards off fungal infections
- May boost heart health
- Natural flu fighter
- Can help regulate blood sugar
Cinnamon is a wholespice made from the inner bark of trees scientifically known as Cinnamomum. It has been in use as an ingredient in various Awadhi cuisines throughout history. It used to be rare, valuable and also in ancient times regarded as a gift fit for kings. Nowadays, cinnamon is easily available in any grocery store. Also, it is one of the whole spices used as an ingredient in various food recipes like Biryani, Curry etc.
- It reduces the risk of Heart Disease
- It can improve sensitivity to Hormone Insulin
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
- It may have Beneficial Effects on Neurodegenerative Diseases
- It can protect you against Cancer
- It helps in fighting Bacterial and Fungal Infections
- May Help Fight the HIV Virus
If you are worrying about your hair fall, skin, liver then nutmeg has enormous properties to cure them. It is one of the whole spices that are useful for daily cooking in India. So it is easy to include it in your diet. It is a good source of potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- Helps in digesion and treat stomach ulcers
- Little nutmeg powder in warm milk induces sleepiness
- Good for skin as it unclog pores and remove blackheads
- It can help in preventing cavities
- Myrislignan in nutmeg help in preventing liver disorders
- Helps in preventing dandruff and clean scalp
5. black cardamom
Black cardamom has strongest aroma among all whole spices. It adds flavor to food along with some of its medicinal poperties. These properties help in various stomach related problems. In hindi it is known as Badi Elaichi.
- prevents signs of aging
- fights stomach ulcers
- reduces gas and bloating problem
- acids in stomach remain in control
- helps in aiding digestive disorders
6. cloves (laung)
Cloves are popularly known as laung in Hindi. They have been in use as a traditional medicine in the form of powder, raw and oil. Clove oil is very beneficial for toot problems. It is found in every kitchen as it is a sweet aromatic wholespice.
- magnesium in clove strengthen bones
- reduces oxidative stress
- promotes death of cancer cell
- promotes oral health due to its antimicrobial properties
7. Bay Leaves (tej patta)
Bay Leaf, known as Tej Patta in Hindi. Everyone can involve it in daily meal. It is useful in making rice and curry in most of the kitchens. It is rich in iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C.
- improves immunity
- helps in fighting migranes
- promotes digestion
- enzymes in bay leaf breakdown proteins and helps you to digest food faster
Green cardamom is also known as hari elaichi or choti elaichi in Hindi. As you start including this whole spices in your tea, you will feel aroma and flavour in it. Some of the health benefits are:
- lowers blood pressure due to its antioxidant properties
- helps in fighting cancer
- stop growth of tumors in test tubes
- reduces digestion issues
- protects from bad breath
the bottom line
The article has a list of 8 famous whole spices. These have uses in various recipes and has several medicinal properties. It improves your overall health. Including them into your daily meal helps in curing enormous diseases. Keep in mind that if you are facing some serious issues related to your health , consult your doctor before deciding its dose of intake.